Developing Thinkers, Leaders, and Problem Solvers
At P.S. 115, we are developing the next generation of thinkers, leaders, and problem solvers. We prepare all of our students for success with New York State and NYCDOE academic standards and testing, but our approach goes far beyond test prep. Our hands-on, student-centered curriculum has been designed to:
- Develop “21st Century” skills including creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication and leadership.
- Provide opportunities for students to explore their unique talents and interests.
- Empower students as agents of change and problem solvers in their communities and the world.
- Give students opportunities to have FUN while they learn!
We use a hands-on, inquiry-based approach called Project-Based Learning (PBL). Students explore grade-level curriculum in the context of extended, interdisciplinary themes. All of our themes are tied to New York State learning standards and to our magnet theme of art and science exploration.
- All teachers have been trained in PBL through the Buck Institute.
- Each extended theme incorporates reading and English/language arts, science, social studies, and math in the context of engaging, real-world ideas.
- Student-directed final projects develop critical thinking, communication, creativity, collaboration, and leadership skills along with academics.
Our curriculum is academically rigorous and meets all New York State and NYC DOE educational standards. Our programs include:
- English Language Arts: Foundations Phonics Program, Readers and Writers Workshop
- Math: Engage New York Mathematics
- Science: Amplify Science
- Social Studies: NYCDOE’s Passport to Social Studies
- Technology: Lego Robotics, coding, Minecraft and more!
- All students have music, art and physical education weekly
We offer a full range of Special Education (SPED) services for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). We also provide academic support for any student struggling to master grade-level standards. Your child’s teachers will work with you to identify your child’s needs and make sure they are getting the help they need to be successful.